Here is an easy and delicious recipe for homemade scones!
The world is still under the tyranny of COVID-19, but that does not mean that we cannot have some fun at home. How about jumping onto the baking wagon and trying your hands on some homemade scones to brighten up your beautiful Sunday morning (or any morning, really)? The recipe below is a win-win-win for me in my vocabulary. Not only is it simple and delicious, but it is also super inexpensive. Additionally, because the ingredients are fairly common, you probably have all of them in your kitchen already, so there is no need for an extra grocery run.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking power
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup of butter, cold
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of 2% milk
- Mix flour, sugar, baking power and salt.
- Cut butter into the dry mixture (step 1). Butter should be cold but not rock-solid.
- Mix egg and milk in a separate bowl, and add to the mixture (step 2)
- Knead your dough with your hands. Make sure that you break all the butter chunks. You may need a bit more flour on hand as the dough is a little bit sticky.
- Fold the dried cranberries into the dough. You can also use other dried fruit or even chocolate chips. Use your imagination!
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). I find preheating the oven after finish kneading the dough is the most energy efficient, because my oven takes about 5 minutes to warm up.
- Cut the dough into desired shape (approximately 8 portions).
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Turn the oven off and let it sit in the oven for another 5 minutes
See the image below for the scones I made. They came out super warm and fluffy, and not so sweet. You can only guess how many minutes these scones last in my family before they were gone.
Happy eating! If you have any other recipes for homemade scones, or if you want to share your baking journey, please feel free to leave a comment down below!
The recipe is adapted from here.
1 thought on “Homemade Scones”
I encourage you all to try the recipe!